Thursday, May 28, 2009

May 28, 2009. Chevy Chase, Md. Mee See Phua.

Mee See died early this morning. He had been an agent with Long and Foster for well over twenty years, working out of the office on East West Highway with Ken Keene, then Carole Maclure as his Manager. When our offices merged, I got to know Mee See for the first time so for the past ten years, I have seen him every day. He was Chinese who had lived in Indonesia before coming to America for his PHD in Physics and Mathematics. He taught at The University of The District of Columbia, prior to becoming a full time real estate agent. Right up until he died he still taught one Algebra course each semester. He has three children, one at college who works for us on Saturday, and the other two 10 and 12 years old. He loved his children and his wife. He worked very hard as a real estate agent and he was a friend to many agents in the office.

As a Manager, I could always count on Mee See to be helpful. On three occasions, we asked him to switch his office and he always agreed before I even explained the purpose of the move. I promised never to move him again and he was happy about that. It is just recently that he was diagnosed with lymphoma and it was just last week that he contracted the infection that ultimately ended his life. He worked until the end. Suzanne was going to settlement for him and he called to ask her to pick him up at the Hospital so he could attend settlement and to do his job. She of course refused but called him to report on the successful settlement. Sadly, although they were to speak the next day, Mee See was taken to the Intensive Care Unit and no further conversations were possible. It seems unbelievable but it is true. We will miss him and his quiet, polite yet intense manner.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so sad to know a man passed away so sudden and left behind young kids in early teens. His son is in my daughter's Chinese class.

Here I want to send my deep condolences to the family, and wish the kids will be able to cope with the loss slowly.


sent by -A father of two

Unknown said...

Hi, I just heard today from a student in the Math Dept. at UDC that Dr. Phua passed away. I was a student in a Differential Equations course he taught last fall ('08).

Many students were probably overwhelmed by his manic teaching style, but I was always deeply impressed by his total command of the material. I'm not sure if I'll remember him more for his rapid-fire proofs and virtuoso problem solving, his intense personality, or for his wry sense of humor. He didn't just teach, he really entertained as well. Considering the subject, that's no mean feat of multitasking.

I'm truly sorry to hear about his passing. Although I had him for only one semester, he's just one of those truly unforgettable characters...brilliant and funny. My condolences to his family and friends.

Unknown said...

I had just now heared dr. "mad' phua died

he was one of th best teachers ever,
matching algebra with every possible subject

my coldonsleses to his family espically his children deng and shu (very nice children)