Thursday, May 7, 2009

May 7, 2009.. Baysville, Ontario. Stolen Cars.

I listened to my messages on my cell phone, and much to my great surprise, my son David had left a message. I knew it must be important. He asked me if we were in Texas. Now he knew we were in Canada, but he was hoping we had changed plans and come to Texas, as our car was no longer in his driveway. He was hoping we had surprised them and come for a visit, and picked up our car from their house. Definitely, our car was no longer there. I called him back to let him know that we were not in Texas. We have never had a car stolen before so we went through all the stages of shock to anger to acceptance, all in three days. The car, our Ford Escape, was stolen from David and Suzanne's driveway on Saturday morning. Ken called the police, and then the Insurance company. So far, no car has appeared, so now we must figure out our next plan. If we buy another car should we leave it in their driveway again, only it to be stolen again? Should we go back to renting a car while we are there? We will have to figure it out.

Several good has come out from this stolen car. Ken remembered our car license plate. The police will not accept a stolen car report unless we know the license number, and lo and behold, Ken could remember the plate. I was stunned. I could not recall one letter of our license plate. The police in San Antonio have been very pleasant and encouraging. Of course, they have not yet found the car, but they will call us if it turns up. Amica, our insurance company have been very responsive and helpful. Immediately, they told Ken that we had comprehensive coverage, and that our policy allows for a rental as we get another car. Of course, neither Ken or I know what comprehensive coverage is all about, but we have it and we are glad. They will even allow us to use the rental when we next come to Texas, which will be in October. Everyone is sympathetic and helpful, but our car is not yet back at home. I do not like this. In the back of the car I had a box. In the box I had a pair of jeans, two T shirts, one silk dress, two pair of underwear, one pair of sneakers and one new sweater, given to me by Suzanne for Christmas. Also a plastic bag with deodorant and a tooth brush. The car they can keep, but I want my box of clothes back. Every item is irreplaceable!!

No comments: