Sunday, June 10, 2012

June 10, 2012. Artemas, PA. Nellie McClung.

Nellie McClung  is known in Canada as one of the "famous five"--- the female collective that fought to have women declared "persons" under the law, and for her determination to secure the right to vote for women in Canada.  This book, Clearing in The West, is the memoir of her family.  The book ends when she was 23 and teaching.

The book is charming, full of vignettes of people and events that took place in Manitoba in the 1880's.  The interesting part is that the west was developed so late.  Her family moved from Chatsworth just south of Owen Sound to Manitoba to farm, taking land and turning the land into productive farms.  Her family members were all hard working and determined.  All are seen by the eyes of Nellie, the youngest child.

My niece Marion left this book for me by my bed in Texas.  I could not recall buying the book myself so was puzzled,  until Marion  solved the mystery.  It is a book worth reading and I am grateful to Marion for bringing it to my attention.  Now I must find the second part of the memoir.

No comments: