Tuesday, September 25, 2012

September 25, 2012. Artemas, PA. Frances Itani.

I am very excited.  I am reading a book by a new author, Frances Itani, and she is wonderful.   I feel a fool.  She is a Canadian and already world famous and I am just now reading her first novel, Deafening.   Where have I been?   Until 2003 when Deafening was published, she was well known in literary circles in Canada for her several collections of short stories and essays, but when Deafening was published she became world famous and rich.  It couldn't happen to a better person.

It is always reassuring to find that an author has led a full life.   She is now in her 60's and is married and has grown children.   Obviously she is a smart lady, who speaks several languages and has travelled widely and lived in many places.  Her husband is an official with The International Red Cross, so they spend time in Geneva.   Ottawa has been a long time Canadian home.

Since publishing Deafening, she has written two books and is finishing up a fourth.  I wish her well with her writings and I will read everything she writes.

No comments: