Monday, October 7, 2013

October 7, 2013. Harper, Texas. Communications.

During the year of communicating with friends and relatives about the 55th, it has become apparent that sometimes my verbiage was not precise.

I was asked if there were special clothes to wear when riding the mules.  In fact, the mules are machines.   They are small tractors with 4 wheel drive that we scoot around the ranch with them.   But I omitted to tell folks that they would be driving in a vehicle, not on the back of a real live mule.

And then it was the question of cattle guards.   I was asked if the guests should expect an armed guard at the crossing of the cattle.   Again, I was imprecise and assumed that everyone knew what a cattle guard looked like.   I was wrong.

And lastly were the clothes.   I suggested casual clothes and sturdy shoes.   There will be many friends and relatives walking around at the ranch wearing new cowboy boots.   I can almost guarantee that they did not buy a boot jack.   At the end of the day, when they have worn those boots all day and their feet are swollen, those boots will not come off with out a boot jack.  Fortunately, we have one in the courtyard.  I should have recommended the folks to buy Ropers if they are inclined to buy Texas boots.  But it is too late!!  It should be interesting.