Sunday, June 15, 2014

June 15, 2014. Ridgeland, Ms. Father's Day.

Father’s Day was started in the 1930’s by the tie and tobacco pipe industry. My own father always said it was a commercial venture rather than a day to truly honor fathers, so it was not a big deal in our family. I have never thought that the two concepts were mutually exclusive. In other words, the day could be a commercial success and also honor fathers. I have no recollection of giving gifts to my father on Father’s Day. He wanted us to honor him every day, and we did. My father spoiled me. At night when I was reading in bed, he brought me cinnamon toast. And he always peeled my oranges. He polished my shoes every Saturday night, along with all the other folks at home. Perhaps it is just a faulty memory, but I do not recall my father ever punishing me as a child. Unfortunately, he died too young at age 62 so neither David or Andrew knew him. Andrew looked like him though so if you look at Mary Frances you will see a bit of my father as she takes after Andrew. We were seven at brunch today and only one father, Ken. But we honored all the fathers, present and those who have passed on. We honored them by having a thoroughly enjoyable meal, full of lively conversation and good food. And Linda paid the bill which pleased us all with her kind gesture. The day could have been difficult, but it was not. Our fathers would have been pleased with us.

No comments: