Friday, June 27, 2014

June 26, 2014. Harper, Texas. A Crown of Thorns.

My Mother was a wise woman. One day when I was a teen, I mentioned that a woman Salvation Army Officer to whom we had just been speaking, seemed lacking in joy and enthusiasm, which to me seemed unusual. My Mother explained to me that the woman's baby had died as an infant and that she had used the death as her crown of thorns ever since, even though this had occurred fifteen years before. My Mother's comment was not a compliment. I believe my Mother thought the lady foolish and selfish. My grandmother Houghton was a wise woman too. Even though she had two grandchildren die when they were young, she never was heard to complain. Her attitude to her grandchildren was always one of gratitude. I will learn from my elders and from my child. I will not use the death of our dear son Andrew to wear as my crown of thorns for the rest of my life. Nor will I complain. Rather, I will attempt to follow son David's statement to me, when he said, "Mother, our task is to get along with our lives as cheerfully as possible, because we have no other choice.". We all agreed that our happy hearts are returning, but slowly.

No comments: