Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2, 2014. Ridgeland, Mississippi. Passing Parade.

It is not normally my cup of tea, but this book called Passing Parade, is worth reading. The subtitle is Obituaries and Appreciations, which pretty much tells you the whole story. Mark Steyn is an excellent writer, but usually about politics or music. For quite a while he wrote obituaries for several magazines, such as the Atlantic. This book pulls together some of his best. They are amusing and informative. As most of the people lived and died during my lifetime, I am familiar with the people he writes about so I find myself comparing my mental notes about the people with his writings. Most of the time, he has more to say. I never read obituaries in the papers but these written by Mark Steyn are light and breezy and entertaining. Just yesterday I downloaded the book to my iPad, after I had read a short article about the Mommas and Poppas, in which the book was briefly discussed. Much to my surprise, I looked it up, found out it was not expensive and have been reading it ever since. It is my first sustained reading since Andrew died.

No comments: