Sunday, September 3, 2017

September 3, 2017. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Home.

Staying home all day on a Sunday is a wonderful luxury.   Don and Doreen are here with us.  We four were brought up in a Salvation Army homes  which meant a full day of activities.  The band played Sunday morning at 10:00, either at the hospital or at the home of a shut in.  Sunday school was held for everyone else, followed by the 11:00 Holiness meeting.     At least once a month, a music festival was held in the afternoon, which would include the band and songsters.   Open Air meeting was held at 6:00 with a march down the Main Street.  7:00 the evening service was held, called a Salvation Meeting.  The day was long and busy.

After evening church, the young people usually gathered at someones home for tea and goodies.  Finally, after getting home around 10:00 I would have a moment to get down to homework.  Throughout my teenage years I was short of sleep.  

Now that I no longer play in the band or sing in the Songsters I revel in staying home all day on Sundays.  I loved the busy Sundays throughout my life but I now love the luxury of staying home all day, enjoying the quiet and the lack of hassle.   At home, Don and Doreen usually attend the Oshawa Corps of The Salvation Army, but when they are here they love the luxury of staying home.  Today we four read all day at home.  And we all four took a nap.  Now that really is luxury.

No comments: