Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, 2008. Chevy Chase, Md. Pictures.

Pictures remind you of things you had forgotten all about. This weekend, while sorting through stuff at the farm house, I found two albums of snapshots that I had not seen for many years. Each album is devoted to each child. Lots of those early pictures, were taken when my Mother visited us in Galveston. Ken had forgotten how thin I was back then. David was very very blond. Both boys were very very cute, even from this distance. At one time of his life, Ken's hair was long and curly. We had both forgotten that. One picture of me had me riding my bike, with one boy in front of me in a chair and the other behind. We looked very steady and secure, but actually I only took the both boys out once on my bicycle, because with Andrew in front of me , I was not able to steer very well. Now riding a bicycle in Galveston was wonderful because the whole island was flat, so I rode almost every day with Andrew behind in the secure chair. At least we did until David was born. The only thing to worry about was the wind. I always headed out with the wind in my face so riding home would be easier. I brought my bike to Bethesda, but the hills were killing me so I took up walking instead. You never notice the hills here until it snows or when you are riding your bicycle.

Now one of those pictures was of my David as a baby when he was just a few months old, with Norman , his cousin playing with him in the baby seat. Dave and Irene and the three children visited us in 1969 in Galveston. Norm was a teen. We four adults were all invited out for New Years Eve, so Norm offered to babysit for Andrew and David, then 19 months and 4 months old. Both boys slept well once they went to bed, so we were all happy with the plan. Our across the street friends were both going to be home, because the Dad was on call. Their two children were a bit older than ours, so the Mother was happy to come and help in an emergency. We four went of to the party, both boys sound asleep and Norm in charge. We arrived home around one o'clock to find everything peaceful. However, both boys cried almost all night. Norm changed numerous diapers and walked and sang and talked to those little boys but to no avail. He finally called my friend for help, but she was not able to help much, so she finally told Norm to leave the boys in their cribs and leave them there. He did and eventually all was quiet, just thirty minutes before we walked in. Now all these memories flooded back to us when we saw that one little picture. There is another chapter to this story too, but not tonight.

No comments: