Friday, September 5, 2008

September 5, 2008. Bethesda, Md. Children.

Wednesday night Ken and I went over to see Andrew and Christina's house. Ken put new flowers in the flower boxes and he wanted me to see them. Also, Gloria has re-arranged furniture and pictures, in order to make every room bigger and brighter, so of course, I wanted to see what she had done. Now, when our house was for sale on Franklin Street, Gloria did the same thing, and moved furniture around and re-hung pictures and put lots of stuff out of sight. Our house looked charming, but as a home to live in, it left much to be desired. The result for us was to distance ourselves from our house, and we got over pining for our wonderful home that we were not going to live in, but it was a house to sell and we got ahead to selling it. Now Andrew and Christina and the girlse were living there during the period of the sale, but once they moved to Mississippi, the house could be staged and it was done by Gloria. It looks great.

But I must say, I hated being there. Normally, we bring dinner and enjoy a short time with the children and catch up with the adults. We arrived at the house on Wednesday to find no children there, and everything changed in the house, and all I wanted to do was get out of the house and go home. Now I knew they were not there, but knowing is not the same as feeling. I was a good soldier, and Gloria and I took a bunch of stuff to the basement, to make the pantry and closets look larger and generally made myself useful to Gloria. But I did not like it a bit and I am ready to have the house sell, so they can get on with their lives and so I do not need to see the house many more times. Ken thinks the house looks very attractive indeed, and he knows that part of our life here with that part of the Family has changed. Now we are ready for the next phase, and have booked our tickets on Southwest for November 28, where we will visit them in Jackson. When I am there, I don't even need to bring dinner. We are going to take them out!!

No comments: