Tuesday, September 23, 2008

September 23, 2008. Western Head, N.S. One Day.

Today Ken went fishing with Vinal, and I had the whole day to myself. Now this is not something that happens very often, in fact we have chosen not to have this happen too often. For two years, we elected to have Ken stay In Nova Scotia all summer, while I went back and forth to work, staying in Bethesda for two or three weeks at a time by myself. We did the same in the winter in Texas. Two years was enough, so now we go together. We can function quite well by ourselves, but we finally asked ourselves the question "why would we want to be apart?" Every now and then Ken goes fishing and I have the whole day to do nothing. I have always wondered how I can get so much done when I am alone. For instance, today I organized and put away in the album the pictures from the 50Th party. I phoned several friends and relatives. I read the whole New Criterion, visited with Mary and Walt, walked from their home to Fort Point Lighthouse, ate lunch at the Woodpile, walked the whole length of Main Street, bought a card for Bud and Mary, sat outside on the deck, purchased four candles and did a load of laundry. Also invited some friends for dinner on Sunday night, the last night that we are in town. So my day was pleasant and productive, but not dramatic. I think that my whole life has been like that... pleasant and productive but not dramatic.

My good friend Beverley wants me to write my legacy for my grandchildren in this small web log. The only thing I do well is to do the ordinary things that every one has to do, but I seem able not to feel put upon or anxious about doing them. And I seem to be able to have fun with everything I do. There is very little misery in my life. Perhaps everyone is like me. Today was a perfect example of a lovely day. Tonight Ken and I watched a DVD, The Last Detective. Not the best series in the world but we enjoyed it. Once again the day was glorious, a perfect Nova Scotia day. We are so fortunate.

No comments: