Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September 3, 2008. Chevy Chase, Md. A Cup of Tea.

It is so welcoming. Almost every where in the world, having a cup of tea together will sooth the feathers immediately. Even if the feathers are not fluffed up, the tone of the gathering seems easier, when a cup of tea is offered all around. When trouble is brewing, the first thing to do is to make a cup of tea. I don't know if it helps anything, but at least it gives everyone something to do. It is a lovely custom, serving tea in the late afternoon. Certainly, while in Nova Scotia, we have the habit of drinking an afternoon cup of tea. And while we are in Texas often Suzanne and the girls and I enjoy the custom. I think they really just like the whole ritual, with the fancy tea pot and the pretty cups and the cookies, all sitting around the coffee table, pretending to be ladies. They don't actually like the tea, but they certainly enjoy adding the cream and sugar. When Kate and Mary Frances and of course Christina and Andrew are at the farm, we always enjoy our cup of tea sitting on the porch in the rocking chairs. It is a very nice custom.

Now I serve tea at work to the agents every afternoon. At that time of day, everyone needs a bit of a boost, and it certainly is nice for me to get out of my office. My custom is to make the tea in a pot, fill the Styrofoam cups and then walk around the office using my tea cart. My tea cart is beautiful, given to me by my fellow Manager Carole Maclure. Now if I was asked whether or not I needed a tea cart, I would have said no, but that tea cart is the most useful piece of business. I keep extra cups and cookies in the drawers, and I push that lovely cart all around the office looking very elegant indeed, except for the Styrofoam cups of course. That cart is indispensable to me, and in addition, the wheels of the card make a bit of noise, so the agents know I am coming soon. I have taught many classes about management, and I have always spoken of the virtue of serving tea every afternoon. No one has adopted my custom, even though most other parts of my management systems are implemented. Never the serving of tea. I can not fathom what not? It is such a civilized thing to do.

No comments: