Wednesday, September 17, 2008

September 17, 2008. Western Hear, N.S. Traditions

Every evening before going to bed, Ken makes us each a cup of hot Ovaltine. He brings it to me in the bedroom while I am reading before going to bed. Obviously we like the custom. Now we have had many many house guests, and no one ever wants a cup of Ovaltine, even though we offer it to them. I have never understood why the aversion to this drink. My Father often brought cinnamon toast to me when reading in bed. He would cut the toast into thin strips to make it easy to eat, along with a glass of cold milk. I liked it. This afternoon, Mary and I went for a walk across the causeway to the church and through our yard to their house, a walk we have taken many times. We like to see the same lake and the same ocean, but at different times of the day and at different times of the year. Ken and I have a tradition to be always on the move, but we take our traditions with us.

This was another beautiful day at Western Head. I did nothing at all productive except read. I am catching up on my magazines. So far I have read all the back copies of The National Review and The Weekly Standard and I am almost finished with National Geographic. I still have two science magazines, Commentary and The Wilson Quarterly. The reason I am behind is that, while away, three books arrived, so I read one immediately. I was by Reid Buckley, and it the story of his parents. It's an easy but interesting read. And I am behind every one else, but I am almost finished with Anne Tyler's "Digging to America". I feel so decadent spending the whole day reading. Tonight we watched the second part of the War of 1812. Now I studied the war when I was at school on Canada, and I studied the war when I studied History at the University of Houston, and I can tell you, the war was totally different from both places. Now I have watched the History Channel, so I must have seen the real deal!! Ken is working on his kayak. By next summer it will be in the water at the lake. It was a lovely day for me, lazy tho I was.

No comments: