Friday, October 16, 2009

October 16, 2009. Bethesda, Md. Neighbors.

Tonight we have been invited for dinner. The hostess is a wonderful cook so we will enjoy not only the company and conversation but also the good food which always includes dessert. The good folks in the country do not really invite each other over for dinner. Our friends at the farm are helpful and pleasant and we drop over to each other's homes, but a formal invitation over to dinner in never done. Perhaps this practice comes about because of the constant emergencies at a farm. Some creature or machine is always in need of assistance, so planning ahead is difficult. Gary and Diana are city people like us, so whenever we are in Artemas together, Diana invites us over for dinner.

Gary and I have worked together for almost thirty years, from the days when we were agents together at Snider Bros. Realtors, then Merrill Lynch Realtors, Prudential Preferred Properties to Long and Foster. Gary and I were part of a small group of agents who met together to assist each other in our work. The group was very helpful to me. Our original intent was to be sure we got out our marketing materials, but it became a major support group. At one point, as Gary was single, Adrea and I placed an an in the Personal column of the Washington Post, because we decided that it was time he got married. Of course we denied ever placing the ad, and in truth, it is supposed to be impossible, but we did it, and poor Gary began receiving all these pictures of ladies wanting to meet him, but to no avail. He did not like them.

Finally, he hit the jack pot. He was visiting a friend in Maine and met Diane. When he returned, he showed us picture. I was convinced. Although he had only spent three days in Maine, it was clear to me that Gary shoud call immediately and propose marriage. He thought I was crazy, but not too much time passes before they became engaged and soon married. I was correct in my assessment of Diana as the wife for Gary. Now I will reap those benefits and eat dinner tonight in the home of Diana and Gary, and I will enjoy every bite.

No comments: