Saturday, October 24, 2009

October 24, 2009. San Antonio, Tx. Yesterday.

Sarah really wanted to go with us to find her head board in the antique store of San Antonio, but when Ken and I went looking, good head boards were in short supply, so I changed our minds. We are staying in Sarah's bedroom, so it was clear to me that she owned many precious objects that were covering every surface in the room, including the desk, dresser and shelves. When Ken and I were perusing our favorite antique stores we came across a very nice curio cabinet, not too big and not too small which could house all her present and future treasures. I mentioned the piece to Suzanne, who in turn asked Sarah whose eyes lit up. She did not know what a curio case was, but she knew it would help her clutter. I also had spotted a lovely little walnut side table which would work very well for my side of the bed, where now I have none.

Ken and I headed out to look at the small table. It was lovely, solid wood with turned legs; a perfect little table to serve for a life time, so we bought it for Sarah and took the table home. After buying shoes for me to replace the shoes stolen from the car, I suggested we look at the small curio case. The lady of the store told me the furniture was cherry wood but as the it was being stored behind another large object and the lights were dull, I wanted another look. The size was perfect for her room, but it was made of oak, not cherry. Both Ken and I inspected it carefully and bought it, after the price was drastically reduced. It was loaded into the truck and left there until David came home and we took the case upstairs to Sarah's room. Both pieces fit into the room and both will serve her well. Ken and I were pleased with our purchases.

David and the twins arrived home at 3:15 and David and Ken and I sat in the living room, drinking wine and talking the rest of the afternoon. The twins listened quietly almost the whole time, then drifted to the kitchen to read. Finally Suzanne and Abigail arrived home, followed soon by the babysitter, and the four adults went out to dinner to celebrate. The dinner was wonderful which ended a perfectly proper day. Now it remains to see if Sarah is pleased with the addition to her room.

2 comments:

Mostly Mosaics by Martha said...

Always wonderful to hear of your travels. Yes, grandchildren are a delight. Briana's Andrew is now 6'4" - football player, straight A student --- the heart of my heart!! We rarely see Tim's girls (Chantelle 22, Felicia 15). We see Melissa's girls (Carly 6, Vivian 3) once or twice a year - and talk on the phone.
Had a new Left knee put in on Oct. 5. Doing well, still some pain, but I imagine that will go in another month or so.
All is well here. Had fun memories when reading about the little girls riding their bikes! Remember our bike rides!! What a hoot>

Rambling with Ruth said...

Martha: It is hard to believe that we rode those crazy kids all around the docks with no security at all. Today, you can not get near the docks, let alone ride our bikes. We did have fun Martha along with doing our jobs. Do you recalling falling down when running to first base? What a hoot indeed. Ruth.