Wednesday, August 18, 2010

August 18, 2010. Western Head, N.S. Our Fish.

The fly fishing folks know everything about fish, but I do not. Instead I watch our fish and observe how they respond. These fish were new to us in May. When we bought these six fish from the pond man in Shelburne they raced all around the pond for fifteen minutes, then disappeared amongst the pond plants. We never saw them again until we returned in mid July. These six fish were jittery.

I bought new fish food as they did not respond at all for the fish we had been giving them. I began to train them, so every day, morning and evening, I fed them and sat quietly beside the pond. Now they come quickly to the surface and begin eating the food. But these fish were fearful of everything. They swim quickly to the plantings if they hear any sound. Shadows immediately got them swimming away. But the big surprise is the sight of a person walking up to the pond. They all immediately leave the surface and swim for cover. Immediately.

Now this is a good thing because herons can spot fish from great height so I am hoping they can survive the off season. I am happy to have them come to the surface when I feed them but I want them to stay in the protected areas of the pond all the rest of the time. Perverse humans that we are, we expect them to keep us happy and also keep themselves safe. I wonder if they are smart enough to do both??

No comments: