Saturday, August 7, 2010

August 7, 2010. Western Head, N.S. Changing.

Attitude is everything. For me, when company is expected to arrive soon, all tasks are completed quickly. The bedrooms and bathrooms and pantry are enthusiastically prepared. But when folks leave, I find less enthusiasm for the required chores, so I find myself making up games. This morning I played the game of making all the beds before allowing myself breakfast. And before going to bed last night I made sure all the towels were back on their respective shelves. After lunch today, before sitting down to read I made sure to check the hand soap, toilet rolls and tissue boxes in each bathroom. I always want everything ready for new guests ahead of their time of arrival. Once I discovered that friends staying in the Carriage House had been forced to go to the grocery store for toilet paper because I forget to check ahead.

Now in truth, no one would mind if they asked for more tissues or toilet paper, but I would not be happy. I do not know where this attitude of preparation comes from but I have it in spades. At work I always wanted everything for the agents all ready for writing a contract or a listing agreement so they could concentrate on the client not the paper work. It is like being ready, then relaxing to enjoy the moment. I want the house and every part ready for the guests, so when they do arrive, which they will do on Sunday evening, I can enjoy their arrival without any anxiety that I am unprepared. Now David and Suzanne are back in San Antonio so I have reluctantly put the house back in order after their departure. Now the house is ready for our next friends.

1 comment:

Rambling with Ruth said...

So nice to see the response in English, rather than asking my son for a translation. Thank you. Ruth.