Friday, June 10, 2011

June 10, 2011. Artemas, PA. Three Good Books.

My niece Wendy recommended this book to me while we were in Mexico.  I down loaded it into my Kindle and now I have had the time to read it.  It is definitely worth a read.  "An Englishwoman In America" by Isabel Byrd, at least I think it is Byrd.  It was written in 1855 and the author travelled to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania.    It was not easy travelling in America in 1854.

"My Nine Lives" by Leon Fleisher is another excellent book.  I am in the midst of that book and am enjoying it thoroughly.  It is well written and entertaining.   I have always been interested with prodigies and Leon Fleisher was certainly one of them.  But at the peak of his career, he lost the use of  two fingers on his right hand, thus rendering it impossible to continuing  his job.

And I am also reading the new book about Jane Austin, telling how it happened that when Jane died, no one expected her books to last longer than a few years.  But by the turn of the 20th Century, she was hugely popular and has been ever since.  It's an interesting story.  It's called "Jane's Fame".   Another well written interesting story.

You can tell I now have time to read, thank heavens.  All the organization is done!!

No comments: