Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 9, 2011. Artemas, PA. Things That Bring Pleasure.

We are using our good dishes for every day living, here at the farm,  and it pleases us.   It took me a long time to figure out what to do with our good Royal Dalton dishes.  Ken started giving me these dishes  one Christmas early in our married life,  choosing them himself with a starter set for four.    Over the years,  we have added more to the set,  so now we have a service for twenty four.  When we knew we were breaking up our apartment in Chevy Chase,  I puzzled and puzzled about what to do with those dishes.

I went through all the possibilities and finally decided that as neither Christina or Suzanne needed them, and the grandchildren were too young to use them, I decided to send the kitchen dishes to the lake, the set for twenty I inherited from Miss. Tomlinson, and use the good dishes every day at the farm.  Of course, I took the dishes we had been using,  down to the old farm house, and gave the Blue Willow dishes to Tammy, who loves them.  A big shift indeed.  But it has worked out well for all.

But the best part is that both Ken and I enjoy using these beautiful dishes every day.  I  recall that after my Father died, my Mother started using her good dishes for every day, thinking that she probably would no longer do much entertaining.  It was a good idea back then in 1964 for my Mother and it is a good idea now for me.  I gives me great pleasure by using those old dishes.

No comments: