Saturday, March 17, 2012

March 17, 2012. Harper, Texas. Lost.

It was a lovely evening so after dinner, Richard and Marilyn decided to walk down the hill to the ranch house, where they were staying.    Our Top House where we live has only one bedroom.   The stars were bright and I gave them a flashlight but I was a little anxious about them walking the half mile in the dark, by themselves.

When they started out,  the road was light colored so easy to follow, but right near the end very close to the ranch house, the road is dark, and there is a Y in the road.  It is unclear which way to go.  They took the wrong path so they retraced their steps, back to the bottom of the hill, and tried again.  But they ended up at the wrong place again.   They spotted lights in a house so yelled over  to ask for directions, and soon they were home.  I heard the story this morning.

I had left lights burning in the ranch house but no lights shine onto the rear or the house.  Several times after they left I wondered if I should take the Mule to be sure they had gotten home, but I had confidence in their ability to navigate.  But I know the ranch is an easy place to get lost, especially at night.  Next time I will drive them home.  Fortunately, no one was hurt but it was a good lesson to me.

No comments: