Friday, March 2, 2012

March 2, 2012. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Staying Warm.

Any good Canadian knows how to stay warm.   They know how to stay warm both outside and inside.   The first time Suzanne, my daughter-in-law, visited us in Nova Scotia,  she was cold all the time.  After a few days it became apparent that she was cold, even though it was in the middle of summer, so I asked her what she was wearing.  After all, she was born and raised in Houston, Texas, and summer for her did not involve keeping warm.

I taught her a system for keeping warm, which included wearing thin wool socks at all times.  Tucking her shirt into her pants was step number two. And finally, wearing an overshirt or light jacket to protect from the wind would make her warmth complete.  She also took to wearing my rubber boots and felt insoles.  Finally, she was warm.  We called it her uniform.

It has taken me two days to remind myself of my system, but now I am warm and cosy at last.  Wool sweater, on top of a long sleeved shirt, over top of a tight fitting T shirt.  Heavy pants.  Thin wool socks first, and finally a heavy pair of hand knit woolen socks complete the outfit.  It looks very cold outside, but inside I am warm and cosy.  It took me two days to put on the wool sweater.  Bingo.  I was warm at last.

No comments: