Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April 3, 2012. Harper, Texas. The Hummingbird.

I heard a sound.  A bird had hit the window of the Top House.  This was unusual, because the house has porches front and back and on both floors, so most birds stay well away from the windows.  The sound is often heard at the farm.  Our home on the hill has windows top to bottom and often the birds hit the windows.  Fortunately, the birds are stunned, but quickly fly away.

This bird today was very small with a long beak.  When I walked over to the window I was fearful for the survival of the tiny bird.  It looked to be in an awkward position.  But I watched.  Finally, the bird moved so both wings were stretched out to the side.  And finally, he flew away.  This tiny creature was a hummingbird and was about the size of my little finger.  It was an iridescent blue/green.  I have no clue what type of hummingbird it might be, even though I looked at my books.

You feel very helpless, watching the tiny bird lying on the concrete of the porch.  But the bird looked after itself.

No comments: