Sunday, April 8, 2012

April 8, 2012. Harper, Texas. Easter Past.

First it was Sunrise Service.  In Canada it is chilly at 7:00 am, so singing and playing in the cold air was difficult, but sing and play we did.  Very often, the Salvation Army joined with several churches for the Sunrise Service, probably to provide the music.  For some reason, the service was always held out of doors so we were subject to wind along with cold air.  I distinctly recall not enjoying sunrise services.

But then we all went inside for a bountiful breakfast, served by the ladies of the Home League.  This I did enjoy.  Then we just hung around waiting for church.

Sunday morning service was held at 11:00, when we sang and played all the difficult Easter songs and hymns.   Everyone wore new hats on Easter Sunday, and they wore new clothes too.  I never understood the connection between Easter and new clothes and new hats and Easter eggs and chocolate rabbits.  It made no sense to me and my family never followed the custom.  In our family, we went to church on Easter Sunday three times.  Once for the sunrise service, next for morning church and, back again for evening meeting.  No wonder I loved my Easter Sunday today.

No comments: