Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October 17, 2012. Jackson, Mississippi. Anniversaries.

Fifty nine years ago today my brother Dave married his bride Irene Chalk in Vancouver, British Columbia.  They were 19 and 21 years old.  My sister Carol was a bridesmaid.  It was a lovely wedding, held in the Salvation Army Citadel.  I was there too, but I was fifteen so don't recall much about the ceremony or the reception, but interestingly, I can remember what I wore.

In August of 1953, my parents had been transferred to Toronto.   When you are a Salvation Army officer, you are told where you will be working.  My sister had stayed in Vancouver for the wedding.  My mother and father and I took the train back to Vancouver for the wedding in October, after having taken the train east in late July.   After the wedding, my sister joined us in Toronto, once again, traveling by train.

My brother played the trombone and shortly before the wedding, Dave played a trombone solo with the title "Count Your Blessings".   The Vancouver Citadel bandsmen thought it a hoot,  but truth be told, it was a harbinger of things to come for the married life of Irene and Dave.   They have three wonderful and productive children, all with lovely families, and the seven grandchildren live interesting lives.   Dave and Irene count their blessings every day of their lives and it all started on October 17, in Vancouver in 1953. .  




No comments: