Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, 2012. Harper, Texas. Sandy, The Storm.

It was indeed a big storm with high wave surges,  many inches of rain and very high winds.  The pictures of the east coast shore look grim.    Many millions of people are without electricity, so it is back to the 19th Century for them.  No electricity means no TV and no Internet or cell phones,  and if you live in a high rise building, no elevator.  New York city is a mess as is New Jersey.  Ken and I have yet to hear from anyone at the farm but we know from the weather on the iPad that they might be getting snow and we know they had many inches of rain.  Horrors.

No one seems to know the answer but I wondered if power failure is more frequent now than sixty years ago.  I don't recall years ago the electricity going out with every storm.  Maybe I just didn't pay attention but I suspect that the trees have grown up and now bring down the power lines,  and I bet the tree trimming is done less often.  And why don't we put these power lines underground anyway?  It seems that there is no political will to improve the infra structure.   Big storms bring big problems and this storm Sandy was a big one.  Lake Michigan had 28 feet waves.  Whew.  I am so pleased to be in Texas.

No comments: