Sunday, May 19, 2013

May 19, 2013. Artemas, PA. Coolidge

I began reading this book in Mexico but it is just now when I am moving along with his life.   The biography was written by Amity Shlaes and I am enjoying it very much.   I know very little about Calvin Coolidge except that he was not verbose.  When he died,  Teddy Roosevelt daughter is quoted as saying "How did they know"?

The more I read about the man the better I like him.  Would it not be wonderful to have a politician who did not speak much?    These days, they never stop talking.   I am reading the book slowly and carefully and only read a few chapters at a time, to give me time to digest the information.  With in the past year or so I have read a biographies of Woodrow Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt, also Justice Brandeis, who were all contemporary with Coolidge so I must fit all the puzzle pieces together.

Coolidge would be a breath of fresh air to Washington these days.  The problem is with our present system of nominating a candidate for president.  He would never go through the process to get to be the candidate.   The more I read about him the better I like him.  We need someone like him to come along....and soon.

No comments: