Thursday, May 23, 2013

May 23, 2013. Artemas, PA. A Walk.

It was just a short walk, a walk from our home on the hill to the farm house, but it was loaded with action.  First the red tailed hawk screamed out me as I started down the hill.   He certainly did not want  me walking down that road.   The nest must have been in the area, although I was never able to spot it.   I watched as he circled high over my head, screaming all the awhile, before, finally, he flew off.

As I approached the pond down at flat land, a duck with a slate grey back flew out of the bushes alongside the pond.   It flew directly across the pond and settled in a tree but I was never able to see it again.   And I was never able to find a nest.   I have no clue what kind of duck it was.

The goose was sitting on the eggs, right in the same location as in previous years.   The only difference is that the grass is much higher, right around the nest, so it is not nearly as visible.  The pair of Canada Geese have taken over our pond.   They take turns sitting on the nest.  Often, one can be found perched on the small dock, surveying their domain.  They are such attentive parents.  Now I hope they will successfully raise the goslings.

And finally, as I approached the farm house, three small rabbits sat watching me as they nibbled on the grass.   They are very cute and not a bit afraid of people.  After all, they seemed to say, "We live here all the time, and you only come every so often."

My friend Beverley said she can not read my blog every day, because it is so boring and I guess it is true.  But what I do is not boring to me.   It is just interesting, like my small walk from one house to the other!!

No comments: