Thursday, June 27, 2013

June 27, 2013. Western Head, N.S. House Guests.

Years ago, when the boys were very young and lived in Bethesda,  my friend Ann was anxious because her parents were coming to visit from California.  We were at picnic group and Ann said she must return home immediately and clean her house, rather than join us all at Gill's for tea after picnic group, which was our habit.   I thought it was ridiculous as Ann's house was always clean but according to Ann,  her mother always cleaned the house, the day after she arrived, and if her mother found the house dirty, she would laugh about Ann's dirty house, both to the family and friends.  I was not impressed and had never felt comfortable with Ann's Mother, even though we met her many times.

I wanted people to visit me who did not criticize my house.   My own Mother would never have complained about my house work.   I decided early in my life, to enjoy my company and not worry that everything was in perfect order.   My Father taught us to treat guests as one of the family so they would feel comfortable so perhaps my casual attitude to guests was inherited.  Whatever the reason, I enjoy house guests.   I fill the fridge and freezer so I am not required to go to the grocery store often.   The first time the whole family visited Nova Scotia I drove to the grocery store every other day.   We soon bought a large freezer and extra fridge for the garage so now I am happy.

Dave and Irene will arrive soon from Ontario.   We are delighted that they will visit us for three weeks. They will stay in the new Guest House so they have their privacy and we have ours too.  All meals are eaten in the main house.   Actually, they are a big help, especially when we entertain.   We love company.

No comments: