Wednesday, June 5, 2013

June 5, 2013. Artemas, PA. Mario Lanza.

It is astonishing, truth be told.   Very small activities give great pleasure.  For two days, I have stayed at home, inside the Hill House and listen to the singing of Mario Lanza.  We have a package that allows me to listen to everything Mario Lanza recorded.  I have just listened to all discs twice.   He had a wonderful voice.

He is one of two people in my life who provided negative examples to me concerning weight loss.  He died in Italy,  at a weight loss institution, when he was not yet 40.   He had this marvelous voice but was always gaining and losing weight.  His death was controversial but it was probably a combination of medications and starvation that killed him.  Fortunately, he had recorded a lot of music, so we can still listen to his voice.  

It was wonderful listening to his voice.  I do wish he had sung in tune all the time.   His recordings were done in one take and never tweaked or had parts dubbed in to correct the bad parts.  I still enjoyed them all but I won't listen again for several years.    Too many high notes sung flat.

No comments: