Saturday, September 21, 2013

September 21, 2013. Canyon Lake, Texas. A Friend In Need.

I was the gate girl.  My right foot felt squishy when I opened the first gate at the Top House but I paid it no mind, but when I got out of the truck to open the main gate from the pasture, my foot fell right out of the shoe.   Again, I just stuck my foot in the shoe again and opened the gate but this time, when I got back in the truck, I looked at my shoe.   It had fallen apart.

We were having a glass of wine in our friends home before going out to dinner so I figured I could get by with one broken shoe, as I had very little walking.  My shoes were sturdy black sandals that I had worn for years.  When I was standing in the kitchen, I told Joyce about my shoe and showed her my mess.  Then I looked at the left shoe and it too had fallen apart.  The leather had separated from the sole.  In fact, half the heel of the left shoe was not even attached.  It must have fallen off at one of the gates.    I just laughed but Joyce excused herself and soon returned with a pair of sandals for me to wear to dinner.  Her shoes were fancy so I enjoyed wearing them.  They fit perfectly.

But I was irritated with my shoes.  I walked miles in those shoes and they were sturdy and comfortable even though they were not fancy.  I guess after 20 years, the shoe gave up and died.  I threw them in Joyce's trash bin and thanked Joyce when she was my Friend in Need.

No comments: