Sunday, November 10, 2013

November 10, 2013. Harper, Texas. Trade Offs.

You can never do everything you wish to do.   Even the very wealthy must trade off time and activities.  So the question must be asked and answered;   "What is the most important thing to do right now?"   Even in this time of retirement, choices must be made.  Although we have unlimited time, we do not have unlimited abilities, so there are always decisions.

Right now, Ken is off by himself checking the back fence.  His plan was to drive the mule to the back corner of the ranch, then walk along the fence line.    Just as he was leaving, he asked if I wanted to come.    My response elicited contrary thoughts.  On the one hand, I don't think it wise for him to be off in the back forty all by himself.  Also I like to wander around the ranch with him too.  On the other hand, Ken likes to be by himself.   I had just finished breakfast and do not like to walk directly after eating.   So I had to make a trade off.

I decided that it was more important to Ken to wander himself so I stayed at the Top House.  Later today, we will drive the ranch together.   There will come a time that wandering alone will not be an option....but that time has not yet come.

No comments: