Sunday, November 17, 2013

November 17, 2013. Canyon Lake, Texas. My Aunt Miriam.

My aunt Miriam was a very able lady.  And she was beautiful too.   Everyone who spoke about her always said those two things.    In addition, she was very gracious.  She was my Mother's older sister and seemed to think that she could tell my Mother what to do, which did not endear her to my Father.  In fact, my Father did not particularly like her although he never said anything bad about Aunt Miriam, but I could tell.

Aunt Miriam was a Salvation Army officer at age 18 and rose to be in charge of all women's programs in Canada.   She stayed single until she retired and then married the Commissioner for Canada of the Salvation Army.  I was the bridesmaid when I was 15.  When he died, she became the Chaplain of Grace Hospital in Toronto.

In later years, she lost her recent memory but no one really knew because most of her dialogue was on automatic pilot.   I would love to know when she started  to have problems.  My Aunt Margaret, who was her dear friend, was almost always with her and Aunt Margaret picked up the conversation if she knew Aunt Miriam did not know the answer.   I suspect Aunt Miriam had lost her memory long ago.  Eventually, she was in a locked ward for old folks who were just like her, but she was so used to working, she was often upset so they gave her the task of monitoring the elevator.  Then she was happy.

Whenever I can't recall a persons name, I wonder if I am becoming like Aunt Miriam?    She died well up in her 80's, but was in the home for about five years.  So maybe soon  I will become Aunt Miriam.  Horrors!!

No comments: