Tuesday, April 22, 2014

April 22, 2014. Ridgeland, Mississippi. Upbringing.

I am always surprised how my upbringing impacts my present life, especially during times of stress. Things I had thought I had forgotten long ago, often pop into my mind at unexpected moments. Many times they bring comfort. In the middle of the night , tossing and turning with anxiety and grief, the words of an old hymn came to my mind. The poet had just been told that his four children had perished in a fire. In his grief, he went to a church to find solice and he wrote: When peace like a river attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whenever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul. I discovered, surprisingly, that it was well with my soul. What a gift my background has given me, at my advanced years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ruth,
I sit with tears in my eyes remembering watching Andrew play basketball at St Andrew's, knowing him when he met Christina, and having met at least 2 of his beautiful daughters. My heart is heavy as I tell you and Ken how sorry I am for your terrible loss. Keep in your hearts the wonderfulness of Andrew, enjoy his children and treasure the time you had with him. All my love and strength is coming to you both and the rest of your family.