Tuesday, April 29, 2014

April 29, 2014. Ridgeland, Mississippi. Car Phones.

Yes. They were actually called car phones and the phone was attached to the car, with a transmitter hidden in the trunk and an antennae attached to the top. I know this because I bought one of the first car phone contracts in Montgomery county. I was a real estate agent and it was 1985 or 1986. It is hard to believe, but Cellular One was having difficulty selling the phones and could not figure out to whom they should target their advertisement, so they had me tell a true story about my success with the car phone, and they put that ad on the radio 150 each day on 50 stations, for two months. For about 3 months, I was famous. And I have not been without a portable phone since that time. But today, my granddaughter Kate gave me a lesson in taking pictures on my new fancy iPhone. My son David, when he was in Jackson for Andrew's service, urged me to buy a new phone that could easily text. It is easier for him to text me than e mail, as he can do it while waiting for a basketball game, or even waiting for the lights. As he asked me several times, I bowed to his wishes and now I have my new, modern phone. I have become a modern woman. It has been fun learning the buttons but as I have used my iPad for several years, I found the systems to be very similar. Now my e mails come right to me on my phone along with the text messages, but you already knew that bit of information. My old flip phone actually did everything I needed a phone to do, but the texting was difficult. But not any more. Of course, as I have a bit of a tremor in my left hand, I can not use my thumbs while holding the phone. Instead I must secure the phone on my knee and rest my arm on something. Perhaps I will get more adept. Do not ever believe that you can not teach an old dog new tricks!!

No comments: