Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 27, 2014. Ridgeland, Mississippi. Habits.

Habits are interesting. Often we perform acts that we never think about, but we repeat the process over and over again. For instance, when the electrical service is out of order due to a storm and we know perfectly well that the candles are lighting the room, every time I enter a room I flip the switch. It is my habit to turn on the switch when I enter any dark room, so I just keep repeating the process, even though it may take days before the electrical service is restored. And then there are bathrooms. I enter a bathroom to put in my eyedrops and before I leave, I must use the toilet even though, when I walked in, I felt no need to use the commode. It is my habit to never walk past a toilet without using it, especially when traveling, so I have programmed myself to use the toilet whenever I walk into the bathroom. It is my habit. Molly was playing with friends down the street. She ran into the house with great glee and called out,"Daddy and Mommy. I am home". There was dead silence for a moment and I called out to her that I was in the kitchen and the awkward moment passed. It was her habit to report her presence to Andrew and Christina. It will be interesting to see how long she keeps that pattern.

No comments: