Thursday, April 10, 2014

They call it Footy. Actually, it is Australian Rules Football. Over the years I would watch this sport and the thing I liked the best was the referee, who after a kick was scored, would march to the center and bring both arms to his waist in a very official manner. It was a ridiculous sight. Since being in the Southern Hemisphere, Ken and I have watched hours of Footy and we are still trying to figure out the rules. Jurgen, our guide in New Zealand, told us that there are no rules. It is just mayhem, but I do not believe him. However, it is an interesting game and in several ways, superior to American football. The play is continuous. The ball must be passed or kicked. And the players wear no equipment, merely shorts and sleeveless tight shirts.. To score, the ball must be kicked through the posts, 6 points to the center and 1 to either side. The scores are high, which I like, so it is fun watching the games. Now I know more than laugh at the antics of the referee. It is my guess that Footy will not sweep the world, but here in Australia, it is the top sport.

No comments: