Saturday, November 11, 2023

November 10, 2023 Madison Mississippi, The Dickie Girls Have Arrived

 Hello to the Blogsphere! The Dickie Girls are here! We are honored to be the second ever guest bloggers on Rambling with Ruth. It is Samantha and Sarah Dickie here, two of David and Suzanne's daughters. Ever since we arrived this Friday night, we have all been fighting over who will get to be the second-ever guest blogger. Thankfully, in our adult years we have become much more accommodating to each others needs and decided to share this beloved responsibility. 

First paragraph from Samantha: 

    Well hello! We got here on Friday night and were greeted by our parents at the Jackson airport and promptly went to the hotel to chat before getting to bed for our big day on Saturday. We woke up this morning around 8 am and all got dressed, got our Starbucks coffee and teas and are now here at Grandma's house! I am coming from the University of Virginia, where I am a fourth year undergrad and also in my first year of my Master's of Athletic Training program. I am very happy to be following in the healthcare footsteps of the Dickie Family and when things get challenging, I often ground myself in the fact that the Dickie Family is strong, and we don't give up. The trip was lovely and very easy as I only took two hour long flights, unfortunately I am coming from the exact opposite direction of my other family members and did not enjoy a flight with my other three sisters Allison, Abigail and Sarah. This did give me time to take a nice nap on the flight and to catch up on some school work, which I was very pleased with. Now we are at Grandma's house, which I have always enjoyed. The view is very peaceful and the art collection is marvelous. Grandma told us we could take a small art memento from the breakfast room and I picked a piece that Grandma and Grandpa bought from New Orleans. I love it very much and am excited to hang it in my room in Virginia. My mom also said that because I am graduating from graduate school soon I get to pick two pieces of Grandma's downstairs collection like Sarah did when she graduated from Law School this past year. My mom told me to keep this to myself but I am so excited I just can't help myself. Additionally, if they are mad, maybe they should just go to grad school. Now I pass the torch to Sarah, who I am sure will wow everyone with her very smart law school vocabulary. 

Second paragraph from Sarah:

    Hello to all the Rambling with Ruth readers!  I am quite honored to be a guest writer on the blog. As one of Grandma's granddaughters, I have been a reader of the blog since its inception, so I am borderline giddy after being asked to contribute. I arrived in Jackson last night after two short flights, one from Dallas to Houston and then Houston to Jackson. Luckily, I am located on the west side of Jackson so I got to fly from Houston to Jackson with Abigail and Allison. Flying with your sisters is so much better than flying alone. After an short evening of catching up with my sisters and parents, I woke up excited to see Grandma and spend some time together. I haven't seen Grandma in person in awhile because of my law school schedule, but we have talked on the phone consistently throughout my law school journey. She always keeps the calls short and sweet, checking in to see how I am doing, telling me that she's proud of me, and to encourage me to "keep my nose to the grindstone." As soon as we arrived, Grandma announced to us four girls that she wants us to pick out a piece of art from the small breakfast nook to remind us of our weekend here together. I have chosen a piece called "Canadian Geese" which will always remind me of my Canadian roots and my Canadian grandmother. Grandma and Grandpa's taste in art is something I am glad to have inherited. It is one of the many things from my grandparents that I intend to carry on with me. 

We are currently all sitting in the living room looking at old photos and having fun conversations about good times and good memories. What a blessing it is to be all together, there is nothing like family. 

2 comments:

Rita dickie said...

So nice to hear from Allison and Sarah. Such a beautiful visit from all of you, your grandma will remember this weekend forever and keep it close to her heart. Hope to hear from your sisters on the blog. Thoughts and prayers are with a.l of you on this very special visit.
Much love rita πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

Peppy Walsh said...

Such lovely thoughts about your grandmother and family. I hope that Ruth continues her blog forever! I always read it right after I wake up in the morning….starts my day. Enjoy your weekend. I know Ruth will cherish this time with all of you….love to all of you! Peppy