Monday, November 27, 2023

November 27th, 2023 - The Egg Bowl

 Before moving to Mississippi, I had never heard of The Egg Bowl.  I couldn't figure out what it was all about.  I discovered it was a fierce competition in football each year between Mississippi State and Ole Miss and was called The Egg Bowl.  The teams first played each other in 1901.  The game has been played every year since 1944, making it the tenth longest uninterrupted series in the US.  In 1928, both universities wanted a neutral site to play and chose the JSU stadium in Jackson as the site.  The term Egg Bowl came from several years of no score for either team.  The two universities began alternating sites for the game at their respective campuses and it is extremely competitive.  Now other states have picked up the routine and there are many in-state rivalry games, as in Mississippi, for the last scheduled game of the season.  There is no such rivalry as Mississippi and The Egg Bowl!  I overheard a conversation between 2 older men in my neighborhood about "The Big O".  I had no idea what they were talking about, so I had to find out.  I discovered as early as the beginning of the season that people start predicting what the score will be for that year at The Egg Bowl and that was what everyone was talking about.  It's a very big deal in Mississippi!  For several years the game has been played on Thanksgiving day and Mississippians plan their Thanksgiving meals around game time.   If you want the real factual information, look on Wikipedia.

Love,

Ruth

No comments: