Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 19, 2010. Western Head, N.S. Hettie and Elbert.

They do it once a year and yesterday was the day. The cocktail party is always fun, also worthwhile, since they invite people we do not know so we get to meet new folks. The first year we attended, ten years ago, I arrived wearing shorts and a T shirt, and I was very under-dressed although I wore my best pair of shorts. Now I know better so I wore my best jeans and a see thru white top over a turquoise silk tank top and I was respectable but casual. Hettie and Elbert live in the green house right around the end of our bay. Their house sits on solid rock, high up over the sea. In high seas or after a big storm their home sits on an island. It is a summer cottage, which is a good thing because they only stay here in the summer along with their daughter Pember, who is now in graduate school. Through the year they live on Long Island, N.Y.

Last evening was a perfect evening for a party. The weather was sunny and the breeze was cool. In town the heat was fierce, almost 85 degrees F. and everyone who came to the party from town, were thrilled to feel the cool breeze at Western Head. A large fire was lit in the living room and all the windows were open so it was perfect. Such a luxury to have a good fire in July. All our friends were there along with some new ones so I always enjoy meeting new people thus making for a lovely party, the first of the summer season 2010. Both Hettie and Elbert are enthusiastic hosts and it is always a pleasure to attend their party but I must say, many times we have not attended because we had not arrived in town. This time we were here, and attended and enjoyed. Hats off to Hettie and Elbert.

No comments: