Wednesday, December 15, 2010

December 15, 2010. Mexico. Our Schedule.

The mornings are the best.    We just wake up.  No clock radios.  No alarms.  No 'to do' lists.  We just wake up at what ever time we have had sufficient rest.  We just wake up.   I don't remember, day after day,  ever being able doing that before.   Ken makes coffee and brings me a cup in bed, where I read.  And I stay in my night shirt.  And read.   This morning, before getting out of bed, I watched the TV channel giving me the highlights of the games from last evening.  I have never done that in my life but there I was, drinking coffee and watching TV.   All the hockey games of the past day or so were on this channel, probably designed for all the Canadians.  It was fun.  I am beginning to understand why people like this retirement idea.

In the middle of the afternoon we head down to the water.  Today we sat on the beach, the first time this trip.  I am not in love with sitting on the beach.   I'm always afraid I will drop my Kindle in the sand.  After an hour of reading on the beach, we adjourned to the pool, our normal spot, where we chatted with a couple from Toronto.  She is seventy and had just learned to swim.  Yesterday she was practicing by herself.  I watched her and talked with her a bit.  She has grandchildren coming for Christmas and she wants to surprise them.  I started to talk with her yesterday after her swim because several times she struggles to get herself upright in the water and I was afraid I was going to be forced to rescue her.  When she floats on her back, she must roll over on her stomach in order to stand up.  After she was finished, and we talked, I suggested a better way and we bonded.  And I told her to never swim alone.  Today we met her husband.  Interesting couple.  Never a dull minute, even without  a schedule.

No comments: