Sunday, December 5, 2010

December 5, 2010. Mexico. Tributes.

I am very grateful for all the e mails, sent to me by the agents, telling me of the years of successful times working together. Their comments were gracious and complementary and I thank them all for their kind words. At the retirement party, I requested no speeches but Jack, my boss just could not stand giving me a tribute. Fortunately, his words were brief. One thing he said was interesting and something he has never told me before. He said, "My wife Liz commented to me that of all the managers she has met, Ruth is the only manager I would work with if I was an agent, and that is because that she always has fun." Truth be told, that is true, but that attitude has gotten me into lots and lots of mischief and trouble over the years.

I have been giving the agents suggestions for twenty three years, and now I had a last chance to give advice.
1. Change is always beneficial even though change is difficult and stressful. Change is always beneficial.
2. Keep their standards high, even though doing it is not easy.
3. Remember to do their business with the three P's : pleasantly, professionally and persistently. Then all will be well.

I have never been afraid to carry the flag, literally and figurally. It remains to be seen what happens to me when I have no parade.

No comments: