Wednesday, December 8, 2010

December 8, 2010. Mexico. The Simple Life.

There are many aspects of living here in Nuevo Vallarta that I like.  Start with the weather, which is wonderful, at least when I am here.   I would not enjoy summers here.  Now in December, the air is pleasant and clear, neither too hot or cool.  I call it "inside-outside" weather, where it is just as comfortable sitting outside to dine or inside in the restaurant or condominium, of course with the windows open.  Next I enjoy the easy access to the restaurants and shops.  The variety within easy walking distance makes for easy exercise.  I like the trolley ride, that slowly drives around the whole complex, traveling to the other side of the marina as well as along the hotel complex along the shore.   Sometimes we take the trip twice, just to enjoy the ride.  It is a free trolley ride.

I like the fact that I have time to read.  Ken spends mornings on the computer while I read.  It is luxury.  Yesterday afternoon I spent down by the pool, swimming and reading and talking.  This was my first trip down to the pool and chatted with a couple from Salmon Arm, B.C., friends we met several years ago and now see each time we are there.  Last year they purchased a full ownership condo and have sold their ten week fractional ownership unit.  This year they will be here for five months.  They obviously enjoy the lifestyle here too.

I enjoy the variety of restaurants here.  Within walking distance there are  twelve restaurants from expensive to cheap.  And we can jump on the trolley to the other side of the marina for eight more.  It is all very easy and pleasant.

Many friends at home think we are crazy to come to Mexico at this time, with all the violence at the border, but this place is far away from the drug cartels.  I recall when D.C. was the murder capital of the U.S. and folks would wonder how we lived just outside the violence.  It is the same here.  This is a lovely quiet spot.  I just feel sorry for the Mexicans who depend on the tourist trade.  Most tourists are just staying away.  But not us.  We enjoy the simple life.

No comments: