Thursday, December 2, 2010

December 2, 2010. Chevy Chase, Md. Farewell.

I did not really want to have a party. I wanted to sneak away quietly to Mexico for the winter. My friend Joe talked to me on the phone and what he said was that my attitude was not fair to all the agents in the office. Further more, he said that the agents wanted to see me and say goodbye to me, not just hear that I have retired. I was talked into the party, "The Mad Hatters Party", held at the Columbia Country for tea and an open bar and food. Everyone wore my ridiculous hats and looked silly. No crying, no sadness, just a celebration of a twenty three year run as a manager.

Joe was right. We needed to have the party. Maureen organized it as usual and it was a wonderful party. We even had Andy Funt's band play all evening, so people danced and had fun. Jack made a short speech and I spoke briefly, then Betty presented me a book with many tributes and thoughts from the agents, all heartfelt and moving. When everyone left just after seven, Maureen, Peppy, Sarah, Tom and I sat around a table drinking a last glass of wine and toasted each other for working together for all those years. It was quite a ride, those twenty three years.. And it was wonderful to see all the agents together one last time. They are quite a crew.

No comments: