Friday, May 13, 2011

May 12, 2011. Jackson, Mississippi. A Language Problem.

I was speaking English, and the man in the restaurant was speaking English, but neither or us could understand what we were saying to each other.   It was un-nerving but true.  Ken and I were in Mayersville,  in the heart of the delta, an area made famous by the blues, when we stopped for lunch at the only restaurant in town.  It had a sign outside that read "Hot meals every day".  So in we went.

It took me three times of trying to place my order, but I was  stumped when he asked me a question which I could not understand.   I had to ask him three times to repeat his question, but I still had no clue to what he was asking.  Finally I called for Ken, who on the first request understood that the man wanted me to tell him whether we wanted the fish sandwiches on bread or a bun.  So Ken said "a bun", and we were home free.

Ken thinks I must speak slowly to the natives of Mississippi, especially when I am in a small rural community inhabited by mostly black people.  The food was great and the price was right, but next time I will speak very slowly and pay close attention to the words of the proprietor.   Or maybe next time I will have developed a Mississippi accent.

No comments: