Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1, 2011. Galveston, Texas. My Cousin Diane.

Diane has been important  throughout my whole life, but now she is important only in my memories.  She died in Vancouver on Friday.  Until recently, she appeared to be in good health, but she collapsed at the swimming pool a week ago.  After surgery, she seemed to be recovering, but she died in her sleep, at age 81.  Now the number is shrinking, who can discuss with me my parents, Auntie Ila (her mother), Grandma Houghton, Mrs. Carleton, Uncle John (her father), and all the other great aunts.

I will miss her in my life.  She was unfailingly polite and pleasant with a great sense of fun.  She lived with us in Vancouver, when she was at nursing school and what a family we were.  I was 14, Carol 16, Dave 19 and Diane 21.   With my Mother,  along with the three lively girls, no one could tell us apart on the phone.  Great frivolity and spirit in the house.  When we were kids, Auntie Ila would send us Diane and Mary's clothes so it was great fun to open the wonderful clothes, newly outgrown.  We go back a long way but now she has gone.  I will miss her.

No comments: