Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 13, 2011. Western Head, NS, Retirement.

It is always the question asked of me,  "Don't you just love being retired?"    And I am told "Congratulations".    I say very little to this response because, as everything else in life,  nothing is pure.  The same thing was said when I took the job as a manager after being an agent for ten years.    My response was always difficult because I enjoyed my life as a real estate agent.  I was in charge of my time and I was in charge of my income so giving that up was not easy.  Taking the job as a manager was not better than being an agent, but it was different than being an agent.  I was certainly not in charge of my time and I was one step away from controlling my income, but I took the job, because someone had to do it.

Being retired is somewhat similar.  I enjoyed my job as a manager.  I had income and status.    Now I have neither.  But my status has always been internal and we have worked hard to keep our income in retirement sufficient for our needs, so the lack of status and income are not an issue.  I am enjoying my retirement but it not as though I have been longing to be retired,  so when the good folks assume that I am delighted,  I just laugh and tell them that we are enjoying our life, which is true.  But I never did hate my working life.

No comments: