Tuesday, July 26, 2011

July 26, 2011. Western Head, N.S. Bernard Bowles.

Bernie is a force of nature.  Today, Gill and I went to say hello, only to discover that he has spent the past month cutting down trees in his yard, playing lumberjack.  Now this is a man approaching eighty who is a skilled painter and maker of crafts.  Now he is out on his large  property cutting down trees, trimming the branches, and splitting the wood for his winter  fires.

Today he has placed all his cats on one shelf in the kitchen.  There must be 25, each one different, grinning down from their perch.  His painting is as good as ever.  Gill spotted two new pieces she would like to buy.  He has a brain born to create.  His brain never stops generating ideas.  This past winter he purchased a new porcelain tea pot with six matching cups and saucers.  We sat in Bernie's bright red living room drinking from these fancy cups in the midst of over 100 sea gulls suspended from the ceiling.  It all seems perfectly appropriate.

We just love Bernard's expertise and enthusiasm.  He is a force of nature.  You must see him to believe him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bernard Bowles, Is my great uncle :) I've never met him but my parents own the house accross the street from him, and I've heard plenty about him. I really want to meet him though.

Jay said...

I have a painting signed B. Bowles. I am trying to find out who the artist is. Is it possible this is the same artist? The painting is quite vibrant in colour and striking.