Thursday, September 29, 2011

September 29, 2011. Artemas, PA. Cab Calloway.

I enjoy rags to riches stories, especially with a musical theme.  Cab Calloway fits that bill.  I have just finished reading a new biography,  one in a line of swing era people.  It has been interesting to  note that many of the musicians appear in the biographies of Louis Armstrong, George Gerschwin and Moss Hart.

Cab Calloway died in his mid 80s and worked right until he died.    I remembered him as the Hi De Ho man, in fact that is the name of the book.  He certainly did that, but in addition he was a band leader and singer and entertainer, then an actor and singer in Porgy and Bess and Hello Dolly, also The Pajama Game.  Finally, he worked as a sole entertainer, never losing his voice until over 80, al least according to the writer.

It is a great story, although not particularly well written,  but I enjoyed the book.  I am sorry but I don't recall the author as I can't find it in the archives of my Kindle.  I am always astonished at what went on right in front of my eyes and I did not even know about it.  But I was working or at school or raising the children with no time for the Broadway scene.  But I love reading all about it.

No comments: