Saturday, September 24, 2011

September24, 2011. Artemas, PA. College Football.

It is always the same.  Every article critical of university education ends up recommending the elimination or reduction of athletics.   No one suggests that college ball is perfect but why throw out the baby with the bath water?  I want the articles to stick with the education of students and deal with athletics as a separate issue, not lump them together.

I know several things about higher education.   Standards have decreased.  My Mother knew more than I did even though she had a high school education.  She studied Latin and Greek and was widely read in English.  My Grandmother spoke French and could read Latin but she had no college degree.  Clearly, standards have dropped.

But leave college football alone or better still, fix it.  The NCAA should allow players to receive a stipend.   I know the student athletes have a free education but the Universities earn millions of dollars when these kids play these games.  It makes no sense they have no money.  But I love watching college football.  You never know what will happen.  Today is a bonanza for fans.  Six games on TV at the same time and more tonight.  I am in football heaven.  

No comments: